Solid Waste Home



Mercury is a powerful neurotoxin which has been linked to the development of learning disabilities in children. Mercury emissions to the air and water concentrate in fish. It is now unsafe to eat many types of freshwater and ocean fish on a regular basis due to this mercury contamination. The mercury in many common products, such as thermometers, thermostats, and fluorescent bulbs is emitted to the air when the product is disposed of at incinerators and later is deposited from rain into waterbodies.

We will try to keep you informed as the work to clean up mercury progresses. You will find more information at the links below:

Mass Gov./Mass Dept of Public Health:

The Mercury Policy Project:

Northeast Waste Management Officials Association:

Environmental Protection Agency: